Sunday 25 November 2007

"Déjame ser feliz" ("Let me be happy")


To Chris:

Goodbyes always make me sad. They remind me of how quickly time passes. You came ten days ago, now you're gone and we haven't got round to doing all the things we had planned. We haven't seen the views from the Parque de las Tetas or from the Cuña Verde de Latina; been to the Museo Reina Sofía or the Museo Municipal; visited the panda bears at the zoo (although we once did get near the zoo); taken the "teleférico" to Casa de Campo or the medieval train to Sigüenza; been to the Salamanca quarter; walked much through the streets of the centre while we read a little about their history; been to the Filmoteca Nacional... we haven't cooked ratatouille either.

We have done things we hadn't planned, though. Like yesterday's seafood paella or Friday's dinner at Tania's, reading Tanenbaum's Computer Networks book, speaking French or listening to the sparrow. These were mostly things related to food and social life, which I'm sure you liked. Now you know more people in Madrid!!

Plaza de Pablo Ruíz Picasso (17/11/2007)

As I told you, what I liked the most about your stay here was your liveliness. It made every walk and visit across the city a very pleasant experience. My face brightened every time you praised the city so enthusiastically and I must say that the most emotional moment was when we were walking with Tarik down Calle Preciados one evening and you admitted, to my great surprise, that you liked Madrid much better than your much beloved Barcelona (or any other big city in Spain, for that matter) and had written so in your blog. The ghost 'Chamberí' station, the Matrix-like Chamartín station, the exhibition about the Vesuvius, the Caixaforum building... who cares... I just love sightseeing with you.

Cuatro Torres Business Area (17/11/2007)

Avenida del Padre Francisco Palau y Quer (17/11/2007)

These ten days together have left us some memorable sentences. The joke about the Chinese restaurants was very funny, and so were Tarik's "disastrous" views about everything, but my favourite sentence was the "Let me be happy" that you said complainingly this morning when I asked you to put down the libretto of 'La Traviata' and get ready to leave (to Estrecho). It goes without saying that you ignored my words and kept being "happy" :)

Over the Príncipe Pío-Aravaca railway track (18/11/2007)

Cable cars over the Parque de la Tinaja (18/11/2007)

Príncipe Pío station and Royal Palace (18/11/2007)

Calle de Aniceto Marinas and Puente de la Reina Victoria (18/11/2007)

So, yes, I let you be happy. If you're happy, I'm happy :) Just learn to control the rain from your eyes, in much the same way I should learn to share my space (just 20 square metres, mind) with others and not to throw dirty looks at them when they "destroy" it. I loved the frog, the book, the apron and the Romanian blue plate from Ikea you bought for me. They were a great surprise (just the way I like presents!).









Lago (18/11/2007)

The house feels empty without you. Do come back whenever you want!!

4 comments:

ChriSmilla said...

nada, que se ve que aun no he aprendido a controlar "the rain that falls (flows?) from my eyes" - es que me es imposible, sobre todo despues de leer esto

gracias por dejarme ser feliz :)
lo soy - y mucho

recuerdos a Tania, Tarik y Aymee!! :*

ChriSmilla said...

y aqui viene mi respuesta :)

Tania said...

Chriss!! que la pasamos genial el corto tiempo que pudimos compartir, y siii espero que vuelvas a Madrid!!!

ChriSmilla said...

Tania >:d< No olvides que te espero por Bucarest, cuando quieras venir :)

Y lo mismo para Aymee y Tarik, claro!